If you have never had a great Black and White Cookie, you are missing out. They are so moist and delicious. One half is dipped in white icing and the other side is dipped in chocolate ganache. I mean hello? Decadent! They are one of my favorite cookies. There is a bagel joint across the street that has the best ones ever! Alas, Black and White cookies pretty much have zero redeeming nutritional qualities. Every once in a blue moon I’m fine with that kind of splurge. But, sometimes you want a cookie and you have no splurgey wiggle room available.
Meringue cookies are perfect for those times! Meringue cookies are only about 15 calories each and they are fat free. They are made from egg whites and they have a satisfying crisp texture that folks in my office agreed reminded them of astronaut ice cream. You can add flavorings and make all kinds of different meringues with very little extra work. So one day I was meandering around pinterest when I came across a recipe for Black and White Meringue cookies on Diethood. What? Genius! Why had I never thought of this?
Now I can have Black and White Cookies any time I want and I don’t even have to feel terrible about it! Adding the chocolate coating on one half of each cookie only adds 23 calories to the cookie so why the heck wouldn’t you add it? To top it off, these stinkers are EASY! So make them! You won’t be disappointed!
IngredientsFOR THE COOKIES
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2-teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2- cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extractFOR THE CHOCOLATE
- 1/4-cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
InstructionsFOR THE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- Arrange two oven racks to divide oven in thirds.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until egg whites are shiny and stiff peaks form. DO NOT overbeat.
- Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Pipe or spoon 24 (2-inch-round) mounds onto previously prepared baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 2 hours, rotating pans halfway through cooking.
- Turn oven off and Cool meringues in oven 40 minutes to 1 hour. (Meringues are done when surface is dry and meringues can be removed from paper without sticking to fingers.)
- Remove from oven and carefully remove meringues from paper.FOR THE CHOCOLATE
Combine chopped chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Melt chocolate in the microwave for 40 seconds to 1 minute, or until melted and smooth.
Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate.
Let any excess chocolate drip off before placing on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
Allow to set at room temperature; do not put in the fridge.
Once set, serve or store in an airtight container.