You guys, I love a good stuffed pepper. Who’s with me? I’ll take any kind of pepper stuffed with yummy goodness, but, make it a pepper with some heat and I am in heaven. Poblanos are a mild chili but, they have just enough heat not to be bland. They are often used in the famous dish called Chile Rellenos.
I came across this particular recipe on I Don’t Go To The Gym’s blog. It is cheesy but light and fresh and it isn’t deep fried like a lot of rellenos. The hubs is always happy with this dish. If you like Mexican food or stuffed peppers, you don’t want to miss this recipe.
2 poblano peppers
1/2 pound chicken breast
1 red pepper
1/4 red onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 cup frozen corn
1 handful cilantro
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Let’s get cooking!
1. Slice your poblano peppers in half lengthwise and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place on a baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to soften.
2. Boil chicken until cooked through. Once cooled, shred chicken using two forks to pull apart the meat.
3. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add one tbsp of olive oil. Add chopped red pepper, red onion, minced garlic, corn and diced tomato to pan. Season with cumin & chili powder. Sauté for 5 minutes until veggies are tender.
4. Mix together shredded chicken, taco sauce, veggies and cilantro.
5. Place peppers in a baking dish and stuff each half with 1/4 of your chicken and top with 1 tbsp of cheese.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.