Of all the things I make, I think the thing I get the most questions about is Overnight Oats. I am in love with these babies. They are super easy to make and they make the mornings so simple. Overnight oats can contain anything you want. You can make them chocolate flavored, or peanut butter, pumpkin, or gingerbread. They are ridiculously versatile. The key is that you really need to use whole rolled oats. The milk softens the oats overnight. So, if you use instant oats, you will have nothing but glue in the morning. Instant oats pretty much just disintegrate.
My brother-in law recently returned from the Strawberry capital of the US (Plant City) and brought a ton of big gorgeous strawberries with him, so that pretty much made my mind up for me as to what flavor oats I would be having.
Strawberry Overnight Oats
Ingredients to make 1 serving
- 1 part whole rolled oats (I use 1/2 a cup)
- 1 part milk of choice (I use almond, coconut, or cashew) (Again 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- Sweetener of choice (I use splenda or agave syrup but you could use honey, molasses, xylitol, sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, or whatever you like)
- 3 tbs chopped strawberries
- Top with chopped or slivered nuts *optional*
Mix all ingredients except strawberries and optional nuts. Spoon the strawberries over the mixture. Cover and put in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning the oats will be soft. If you want you can top them with some nuts for crunch. You can eat the hot or cold. I like to eat them cold because it eliminates the step of using the microwave.