Have you guys gotten on the Matcha Green Tea Powder bandwagon yet? I am on board hook, line, and sinker. I am absolutely obsessed with this stuff! Matcha is premium green tea leaves that have been ground into a fine powder. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way. It has a very strong green tea flavor. It’s like your average cup of green tea times 10! 20 days prior to harvest to shade the leaves from direct sunlight. This is done to boost the plants’ chlorophyll levels (which turns the leaves a darker, vibrant shade of green).
I kept seeing Matcha lattes popping up all over Pinterest so I had to see what the deal was with this stuff. Why was everyone raving about it all of the sudden? So what are some of the reported benefits of Matcha?
- When you drink matcha you ingest the entire leaf and receive 100% of the nutrients of the leaf
- Matcha powdered green tea has 137 times more antioxidants than regular green tea including the powerful EGCg
- One cup of matcha = 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea in terms of nutritional content
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
WOW! See! All of those benefits AND it tastes delicious! I bought my Matcha powder on Amazon but you can find it in your local Asian market and I have even seen it in a couple of main stream grocery stores. So obviously you can make all sorts of drinks with Matcha. You can have a hot cup of tea. You can make a Matcha latte. You can put it in your smoothies! But, I wanted to find something else to do with it. Why only drink it? Why not let dessert in on the fun? So I took a lightened up pound cake recipe that I love from Munatycooking.com and jazzed it up with some Matcha and some poppy seeds! Let me tell you, if you like green tea, this cake is for you! It literally tastes like you are eating a sweet delicious fluffy, dense, cup of tea in dessert form! Are you in? Good! Get baking!
Here is my adaptation with Matcha!
Skinny Matcha Green Tea Pound Cake
Makes 12 slices. 115 calories per slice.
3/4 cup unbleached cake flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tbs Matcha Tea Powder
1 tbs poppy seeds (optional)
6 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 whole medium egg
1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
1 egg white
– Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C.
– In medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, Matcha tea powder, and baking powder.
– In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy and lighter in color.
– Add vanilla, egg, milk, and egg white to butter mixture. Beat 2 minutes on high speed.
– Add flour mixture and poppy seeds. Beat on lowest speed, no more than 10 seconds.
– Pour cake batter into 8″x4.5″ nonstick or lightly greased baking pan.
– Place on one rack above middle in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
– Let cool on cooling rack.